School Counseling

Mrs. Watts A - F
Ms. Bush  G - N
Mrs. Silo   O - Z

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I enroll a new student?
A parent or legal guardian must enroll the student. A student cannot enroll without each of the items listed below. To make a new student registration appointment, please call 757-648-4711

  • Withdrawal form from the previous school or, if enrolling in the summer, the last report card
  • Current immunization record to include 3 Hepatitis B shots and a Tdap after the eleventh birthday
  • Proof of residency (If you are living in someone else’s home a Shared Housing Form must be completed and notarized.)
  • Birth certificate 
  • Custody papers (if applicable)
  • Current IEP or 504 (if applicable)

How do I withdraw my child?
Please notify the School Counseling Office by phone or in writing at least three days prior to the student’s last day of attendance.

School Counseling links

Major Clarity (students should log in through ClassLink with their lunch number and network password)
Virginia Career View
Virginia Education Wizard

How is a Student Referred to the School Counselor? 
Students may be referred to the counselor by parents, teachers, administrators, or peers; or they may self-refer.

Are Students Required to Participate in the Program? 
No student is required to participate in any school counseling program to which the parents of that student object. Parents may choose to limit participation in any or all school counseling services at any time by sending a letter to the school principal or by completing a school counseling form available at the school.

What Does the Program Provide Students? 
Assists students in their educational, career, personal, and social development 
Helps students resolve problems which interfere with learning 
Facilitates educational and career planning 
Increases knowledge of self and others 
Supports students with specific needs 
Offers crisis intervention and prevention

What Is the School Counseling Program in Virginia Beach? 
VBCPS School Counseling Program

What Are the Credentials of Counselors? 
Master's degree from an approved college/university program in school counseling 
Two years of successful full-time teaching or relevant work experience in school counseling
Licensed by the Virginia Department of Education

May Parents Review Materials Used in the Program? 
Materials used in the School Counseling Program are available for parental review in each school. Parents may schedule an appointment with the school counselor for this purpose.

What Does the Program Provide Parents? 
Facilitates a home/school partnership in fostering school success 
Provides support for parents regarding their child's educational development 
Shares information with parents to help clarify and/or solve student and/or school-related problems 
Protects the privacy of information shared by parents and students 
Assists parents in refining parenting skills 
Coordinates school/community services regarding specific needs of students 

What Can You as a Parent Do to Help Your Child Succeed in School? 
Provide an appropriate study environment at home 
Establish fair and reasonable expectations 
Take time to listen to your child 
Maintain communication with teachers, counselors, and other school personnel 
Participate in school activities 
Help your child establish realistic career and educational goals 
Celebrate your child's successes and recognize that mistakes or failures can be turned into positive learning experiences